It might seem like I’m going on a bit of a salad kick lately…and that’s because I am! Not only are salads great for whipping yourself into swimsuit shape, but they are efficient for packing a tonne of healthy nutrients into one meal, and they are nice and light for the summertime. With that in mind, I present to you my Warm Summer Chicken Salad – perfect for a summer lunch or dinner, or for hosting some health conscious guests in the backyard! Enjoy.
Ingredients (serves three):
- 1/6 cup pine nuts (nuts are super healthy but also high in calories, don’t go overboard!)
- roasted red peppers (these are healthy, use as many as you’d like!)
- about 2 square inches of feta cheese (if you’re really trying to behave you can skip this altogether)
- lots and lots of greens (I used a mix of field greens and baby spinach)
oh…and chicken breast!
For this recipe I used three chicken breasts (one per person). I like to bake them and cover them with foil so that they are super moist. I also used a lemon and herb seasoning on these to make them a little more zesty!
Here they are! Now of course you also need to make some dressing. This one isn’t super low-calorie, but it doesn’t matter because it IS super healthy. Here’s what you need to make a jazzed up vinaigrette:
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- a big squirt of pure lemon juice
- about 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- just a hint of honey
Mix all of the ingredients (except for the chicken) in a big bowl with the dressing.
Distribute everything evenly onto three plates and add the chicken breasts on the sides.
Yup, that’s it! The only thing that’s going to take you a bit of extra time here is waiting for the chicken breast to bake, so make sure you plan ahead for that. You could also make them the night before, however fresher is always better isn’t it? For those of you who are interested, this salad will ring you in at about 390 calories, minus the cheese it’ll cost you about 340 – the perfect portion size to allow for some fresh fruit for dessert!
On another note: Happy Father’s Day!